Friday 22 August 2014

Trade-sies

So I've essentially given up on spinning at this point in my life.  I can say that now that I haven't used my wheel in almost a year.  I'm kind of sad, but every time I think of spinning I think how much knitting I could do instead ... it seems to appeal to me more, and thus I knit.

But I also garden now :)
I had no idea when I bought everything this spring how labour intensive and rewarding gardening is!  My mom has always been a gardener, and I have helped to put some of her flowers to rest on more than one occasion.  She shakes her head at me when I talk about cross-pollination now, but I can't help it.  The difference: I grow food.
To the left
And to the right

  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Herbs
  • Lettuce
  • Raspberries
  • Kale
  • Tomatoes
  • Garlic
  • Onions

  • Strawberries
  • Green Bush Beans
  • Jalapeno Peppers
  • Serrano Peppers
  • Bell Peppers
  • and yet more onions ...


From a salad point of view, this little plot has been the best investment ever.  The lettuce and kale just keep giving, no matter how I abuse them, and the broccoli was the sweetest I have ever had.  The berries will be much more exciting next year, I'm sure.  Few things I know I'll never plant again:
  • Zucchini - way too big for such a small space
  • Spinach - I suck at it
  • Green Beans - no one likes them but me ;)
  • Broccoli - it pains me to say this a little because it was so tasty, but massive amount of real estate as well.  We'll see.
My favourite part of this whole endeavour is doing it with the gingersnap.  She loves to plant, water, and eat almost everything we have grown!  A few more close-ups?  I think so!
Blueberries and rosemary
Garlic lowers and a yet to flower clematis


Beautiful, delicious tomatoes

All kinds of peppers!

Many lovely zucchinis

No comments:

Post a Comment