Monday 11 August 2014

So Now That's Done ...

I'm finished school.  Excellent.  And there's no point in even thinking about jobs for a week or so, thus I get to do more fun things now!
We just came back from a lovely holiday and all I want to do is spend time in the kitchen and garden (I want to talk about the garden separately because I need to devote some time to it ;) ).  First up, BBQ sauce.  It is super hot and muggy here and we bought ribs yesterday for some friends coming over for dinner and I was inspired.

The Barbeque Sauce recipe came from a quick search on Tastespotting, and I will definitely be adding that blog to my frequently surfed.  It is totally delicious, even after a few dicey substitutions:
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 1/2 a finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 a minced jalapeños
  • 3 smoked garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic scape salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup homemade ketchup
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
I cooked everything up according to her instructions, and used one of the most exciting purchases from my trip - smoked baby garlic.  

Having not made anything without this wonderful product, I'm not sure about what difference it made to the flavour, but I would like to think a lot since my whole kitchen reeks of the stuff ;)
The other wonderful ingredient that I have access to is garlic scape salt.  

This stuff is gold - it can turn the most boring dish into something fantastic.  Get some if you can!!

We're also talking a lot about sugar content in our house right now, being not super healthy people, but wanting to be.  So I subbed out the brown sugar for honey, the apricot preserves for fresh blueberries, and I made my own ketchup.  Again with mods:
  • 13 oz can of tomato paste
  • 2 cups of water
  • 4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tbsp of Grade A maple syrup
  • 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp all spice
  • 1/2 tsp garlic scape salt
This is settling in the fridge right now - it might need some more maple syrup.  I halved the quantity ... 

Anywho - that was the first day home in my kitchen and it was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment