I have a new sweater!! It had a rocky start but came out more wearable then I could have hoped for ...
First: the yarn is MarigoldJen BFL sock yarn in Amy's Punky Plum - I bought it for the knit-a-long that the Stockinette Zombies hosted over the last 2 months. I have high hopes for this sweater as the swatch has been through the washer and dryer at least 5 times (I lost it in the pocket of a pair of jeans for a while) and come out soft, drapey, and not a pill on it :)
Next: the pattern is the Serina Cardigan, a $6 download from Ravelry. The yardage requirements on the pattern page state the following
Yardage Requirements: 850 - 1600 yards (777 - 1463 m)
Sizes Available: 32"-50" bust
I wanted to make around a 44" size and had around 1450 yards of yarn. Wonderful .... or not. Bought the pattern only to find that size needs 1600 yards. What?!? Grrrrrrrrrr ....
I took a deep breath and read the pattern. Conveniently the bottom of the sweater had a lot more fabric than I originally thought so I got rid of some of it to get back some of that yarn and crossed my fingers. I left the arms to the end, intending to split whatever was left from the body in half and getting as far as I could but I needent have planned so much.
The bottom of the sweater for my size was intended to be about 50" around and mine is only about 42" so I actually have yarn left over:
And I'm happy. I definitely needed a closure of some sort and since I thought buttons might be too heavy, opted for a really light weight shawl stick from Black Sheep Yarns.
(And I'm still on track for my 13 sweaters of the year ;) )