Sunday 21 July 2013

Everyday Bread

I found today that my favorite source for bread recipes is missing :(
I'm not sure what is going on but since I make this *at least* once a week, I'm recording this case I have a brain fart one day and need a reference.

This is, I think, what the recipe from www.thekneadforbread.com is.  Either that or it is my interpretation of it!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients

1 cup rolled oats
2 cups boiling water

3 tsp yeast
1 tbsp soft unsalted butter
1/2 cup molasses
1 tsp salt

2 cups whole wheat bread flour
~2 cups white bread flour

Putting it Together

Pour the boiling water over the rolled oats and leave until cooled.

Add all the other ingredients, minus the flour, and mix with a bread hook until well blended.  Add the whole wheat flour and mix until well blended.  Add the white flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is dry enough that it doesn't stick too badly when poked.

Let sit in the bowl, covered, until it has visibly risen to about double its size (this can take up to 2 hours).
Preheat oven to 350 F
Transfer dough to 2 bread pans, cover and place on top of warming oven.  Wait until they double in bulk (usually only about a half hour).

Bake bread for about 35 minutes, or until the top crust is brown and a knock on the bottom of the pan sounds hollow.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This yields me 2 rather short loaves of bread.  As I have lots of time right now, I make this whenever we're running low.
My plan for the fall is to double it and hopefully get 3 normal sandwich loaves from it.  Two for us and one for my parents, but only need to make it once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment